Replacing A Rooftop Unit
Tip: Check unit specifications (proper voltage and model numbers) before
setting unit on roof
A overview of a rooftop air conditioning unit replacement
- Call manufacturer and find out lead time of unit and curb adapter.
- Once unit and adapter is available, schedule crane.
The following should take place the day before or the morning of crane
- Cone off area where crane will pick from.
- Locate units power source (breaker panel).
- Lockout/Tagout breaker and gas valve.
- Reclaim Refrigerant from unit.
- Disconnect Unit from power and gas.
- Disconnect Control wiring and write down colors used and terminal
- Check to see if units ductwork is screwed to unit or curb. Support
duct and remove screws if necessary.
- Help crane set up when it gets there.
- Position truck with new rooftop and curb for crane.
- Remove old rooftop unit from rooftop.
- Clean top rail of existing roof curb and apply new foam tape.
Inspect condition of roofing and ducts.
- Crane up and install adapter curb.
- Apply foam tape to top of curb adapter, and inspect seal between
existing curb and adapter.
- Crane up new Rooftop unit and hook up electric and gas pipe.
- Follow manufactures start up procedure, and inspect all of units
If you are planning to do your own Air Conditioning Roof Top
Unit replacement, be sure to have at least 3 people helping you
so the crane pick goes smoothly. You will need a competent
person signaling the crane operator as this is very important.
Two other people are needed to set the unit in place, while the
crane lowers the unit.
Below is a hand signal illustration for instructing the crane operator: